Saturday, February 14, 2009

Tyson Invitational


The Tyson Invitational was this weekend. This was my first time to come to the University of Arkansas, which is surprising given their history with track and field. I'm caffeinating right now in preparation for the 7 hour drive home.

In case you don't know what happened, the big story was Galen Rupp's American record in the 5000m. He ran 13:18.12. I covered the meet for PreRaceJitters.com and LetsRun.com. Links: http://preracejitters.com/rupp-sets-5k-american-record-at-tyson-invitational/ and http://www.letsrun.com/2009/tyson0213.php

There is also some very good coverage in all the events at TrackShark.com. The TrackShark guys, Tom Borish and Scott Bush, impress me with their work ethic. They have been writing, Twittering, filming, etc. nonstop. They were also nice to let me stay with them after my plans fell through. I was going to rough it and sleep in my car, but it did get awfully cold last night.

My favorite race has always been the men's mile. This was the first time I got to see Nick Willis race in person. I had hoped Alan Webb would have finished better, but he needs to work on his tactics.

Some Texas Tech people are here too. I got to see my old coach and former teammates. Sally Kipyego was 2nd in the mile, but we all know that's not her best event.

Yesterday I ran around town, but it killed my shins since there was mostly concrete hills everywhere. I was told there are trails, but I never found them. I felt better once I ran though. I get antsy if I watch track meets and I can't run.

No comments:

Post a Comment